16 April 2011

Graduate Student Write-In

With one month left until finals' week here at KU, I'd say a few of us are starting to tackle, or worry about tackling a number of final papers. Luckily, I happened to notice a recent email about a Graduate Write-In today at Watson Library. From 10am-3pm the KU librarians and Writing Center representatives held a write-in on 4th floor Watson. There was coffee (essential, right?), tea, an assortment of pastries, muffins, fruit and more to munch on while we got our "write" on (I know, I know...I do not pride myself in excellent humor).

On the business side of things there were many consultants available during the whole thing to help with writing issues/questions and you could come & go whenever in both quiet and group study areas. The event was intended to help grad students work on whatever writing they had. I actually had a nice mix of productivity and fun since I was accompanied by KUAR members Jennifer, Joy and Kara. We were able to discuss resources and questions, and overall felt it was really helpful to be there together. That's about all I have to say on this but I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested in future events like this (or us forming our own type of "write-in" for Ars members). I thought it was nice to have a change of scenery...helps inspire creativity, collaboration, and community.

Does anyone have good writing tips to share? Do you have a daily or weekly routine that you follow throughout the whole semester? Secret gems you've discovered for research? Do share and look out for an announcement coming soon about another KUAR event at the end of April!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! -RMB

No comments: