03 February 2011

Black lesbian stripper documentary. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

THIS. This, friends, is too cool.

Leilah Wienraub has documented the LA black lesbian strip scene in what appears to be a stunning documentary.
As you can see from the video, it promises to be a classic like "Paris is Burning."

I'm thrilled about this--raveraverave--as someone who digs the queer, critical/cultural, subcultural studies, I think it's pretty real when a thoughtful, intriguing study emerges from a sub-subculture. This story traces the sexual, fantastical, and economic realities of a place that few know, but will no doubt resonate far beyond the scene itself.

The project has 4 more days to make $25,000, just 1/3 of the production budget. Donate, so this film can be completed. You'll only be charged if the pledges hit $25000. I donated--not much, but I think it'll be worth it.

1 comment:

EWilliams said...

Huh. Way interesting. I dig the work-and/as-identity angle. Is that something people are talking about in public sphere theory or from another area of Coms? It's probably something that's not talked about enough, given that folks (at least Americans) define themselves by their work. Everybody's had that conversation: "Hi, I'm Joe." "Hi, I'm Erin." "And what do you do?" "I teach English. What do you do?" "Fundraising." Why not ask, "Where do you live?" or "Where were you born?" or "What's your favorite food?" Because those things probably won't tell you as much (about you want to know) about that person.

But for some of the women in this video, "stripper" didn't seem to be their "job." One woman said she didn't do her performances for the money.

Seems like a worthwhile project! Lemme see what I can't dig up for it. Thanks for sharing this, Greta!!