25 April 2011

Guest Blogger Evan Center on the Magic of EndNote

As I slowly saw off the chains of my self-imposed grad school sentence, I embrace the simple tools that make the arduous less so. Perhaps the most important tool for this task, thus far, has been EndNote. An hour investment in EndNote library tutorials during my first semester at KU paid phenomenal chronological dividends. Yet I notice that for many of my colleagues EndNote is a mythical beast to be conquered in post-comp dissertation purgatory. I also notice that there is a RefWorks contingent that would happily wage RefWars to my blasphemous EndNote praise. Quickly I’d like to define EndNote, challenge the former assertion, and encourage some deliberative discourse for RefWorks.

First things first: What is EndNote and how is it used? EndNote is a magical software tool (free from KU) that acts as an organizing fairy for bibliographical references; a fairy that also formats your in-text citations and references page. First, you build a reference library. You use the “interwebs” to import references automatically (e.g., just click the “import into EndNote function” on Google Scholar) and once you have them you can organize them into specific folders if you’d like (I have one for each class I take and each paper I write). EndNote also works with Microsoft Word. Once you have your reference, with a few clicks, you can add any reference in any format (e.g. MLA, Chicago, APA) and it will format it in your bibliography section automatically.

While EndNote is perfect for a huge project—like a dissertation—it is also perfect to keep track of all your readings during your grad school career. You can attach digital files to any EndNote reference for easy access to your notes and digital .pdf markups. Also, the library will scan in book sections if you give them a few days. Thus, when I find an important book chapter, I request the scanned .pdf so it’s easily on hand. This will also help as you compile your comp’s bib—as you now have everything you have ever read. You can also share your compiled “EndNote reference libraries,” just in case you might be missing something from a past class. Furthermore, if you have any other suggestions for EndNote helps, let us know, and post them below.

Finally, as I preach the gospel of EndNote, I am curious to the competing religious force of RefWorks. If you use it, what do you like about it? If you hate it, why does it suck? Do you know how many more miracles RefWorks has to have attributed to it to achieve magical fairy sainthood? Help us out, pick some reference fights, break your grad school shackles, and wage on friends!

PS – vote for Evan

9 comments:

EWilliams said...

Ok, so let me devils-advocate this.

I agree that EndNote does some magical things. It keeps track of notes! It generates massive bibliographies with the click of a button!

But it is also impossible to change the citation templates. Seriously, EndNote. All I want is to have a citation template for Online Newspaper Articles. Is this so hard? Apparently so! So in the meantime, I have to tapdance to get it to adjust to the many, many different specific forms of MLA citation.

And what's up with not being able to adjust for "authors" that don't have last names that are supposed to go first? Like institution names. I want "Modern Language Association," not "Association, Modern Languages," EndNote. Why don't you just let me be me, EndNote?!

Ben said...

I use endnote a lot for citations, however, I actually think some of the free versions are better for organising references, such as mendeley, wizfolio and zotero. Do you guys have any experience with these?

EWilliams said...

Hm... Wizfolio. Interesting. I'll have to check it out. I've used Zotero, but I never managed to get it to do more for me than Delicious (RIP) was doing. A friend of mine uses Dropbox to do some frankly amazing things with "libraries." He makes me wish that my Dropbox-fu was stronger...

Evan Beaumont Center said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evan Beaumont Center said...

Whoa? You can use Dropbox to organize libraries? How? I back up my EndNote with Dropbox, but that's about it...I'm curious as to any suggestions as to how this occurs. Also, I'm curious to any suggestions for "how to sync" my dropbox--so I don't have to back up manually. Ahhh, technology--we must work so hard to make it work for us.

quirkygirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Nish said...

I've used EndNote for every paper I've written in grad school, and after figuring out how to tinker with it (i.e., not changing the text in the Word document, but changing the citation), I think it's been beneficial overall. The library's instruction class was an invaluable part of me learning to use it; before this, I was manually entering all of the citation information, which wasn't much of a time saver. I'm interested in these other options, though; I'd love to hear more about others' experience with them!

(Shameless plug, Evan. Shameless.)

Greta said...

I second Evan's shameless plug. I am the EndNote cheerleader and no. 1 super plus fan girl.

Every single paper I've written, I've used end note. Like most children, they're worth whatever hassle/quirks come along with the deal.

Evan Beaumont Center said...

Word: I just came up with another quirky problem...possibly espousing my EndNote ineptitude. I'm trying to reformat footnotes to put punctuation within commas...any suggestions for how to go in and adjust formats? Greta? Help? :)

And as far as Jen is concerned...Noooooooo!